ADA Title II Tools for Local and State Government
Kathy Gips, Director of Training for the New England ADA Center, provided an overview and demonstration of how to use two online tools developed by the New England ADA Center.
1. ADA Checklist for Existing Facilities
The ADA Checklist for Existing Facilities (www.adachecklist.org) provides an overview of how to conduct an accessibility survey as well as downloaded templates to use when surveying the facilities.
2. ADA Title II Action Guide for State and Local Governments
The ADA Title Action Guide (www.adaactionguide.org) is based on a booklet released in the early 90’s called the ADA Title II Action Guide for State and Local Governments (Palames and Marshall-Cohen, 1996). The ADA Title II Guide provides a 7-step process with downloaded templates and forms to assist with Title II compliance efforts.
These seven steps include:
- Step 1 - Start Implementation
- Step 2 - Appoint an ADA Coordinator
- Step 3 - Provide Public Notice
- Step 4 - Adopt a Grievance Procedure
- Step 5 - Conduct a Self-Evaluation
- Step 6 - Develop a Transition Plan
- Step 7 - Create an Action Plan
The training webinar was attended by 46 representatives of Indiana municipalities (cities, towns, and counties), state agencies, and other organizations.